Since our founding in 1910, the Palo Alto Chamber of Commerce has supported local businesses in their quest to build a strong community. From the earliest days, Chamber members have supported a strong and successful local economy, beautiful business and residential districts, as well as a superior public education program and City infrastructure. The Chamber has been the hub for local business people to connect with and support the broader community.
Our mission is to promote and maintain the community's continued economic vitality and quality of life by creating and supporting a positive environment for business; articulating business concerns; and encouraging cooperation among Palo Alto businesses and between the business community and city government, residents and other key constituencies.
The Chamber is a non-profit organization governed by an active Board of Directors and a small professional staff. The Chamber’s membership consists of approximately 550 businesses; a diverse mix of small businesses, merchants, and professionals; nationally recognized corporations, educational and health institutions; and community organizations.
This is a full-time, benefit eligible position. Salary is commensurate with experience. Work at the Chamber will require early morning or evening hours in conjunction with certain meetings or events produced by the Chamber. This position reports to the Board of Directors.
The chief executive and administrative officer is the chief spokesperson for the organization representing the Chamber of Commerce to Palo Alto’s business, governmental and community stakeholders.
The President/CEO sets and implements policy, is responsible for the organization’s strategic planning and vision, and acts as an advocate on behalf of Chamber members for government and legislative matters. The President/CEO is adept at managing external affairs relevant to the organization, and is able to clearly communicate and demonstrate the Chamber’s value proposition in a consistent and exemplary fashion.
The President/CEO is responsible for the stewardship of the Chamber’s Leaders Circle and other major stakeholder relationships. The President/CEO is responsible for the growth and retention of the Chamber’s membership.
The ideal candidate must be an effective manager. Our President/CEO must be able to prioritize effectively and wear many hats. Management responsibilities include, but are not limited to: organizational structure, processes and procedures; management of the organization’s finances, including management of cash flows to targeted budgetary expectations; proper utilization of the organization’s resources including supervision, training and development of staff; and effectively managing Board and volunteer activities, communications and development. The ideal candidate will be able to effectively prioritize duties and responsibilities and will be well experienced in effectively managing organizational growth and change.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate the following skills and attributes:
• Strong relationship builder
• Strong communication skills
• Common sense approach with sound business judgment and the ability to prioritize effectively
• Strong and effective customer service values
• Strong understanding of membership value proposition
• Able to lead a successful retention and growth program
Management and Administration
• Demonstrated financial management skills
• Able to lead a team effectively
• Able and willing to roll up his/her sleeves to get things done
Board and Volunteer Leadership
• Demonstrates a strong moral compass
• Provides honest and straightforward communications
• Identifies and effectively resolves issues and conflicts timely
• Strong advocate for Chamber positions
• Skilled steward for key constituents
• Demonstrates professional image that is positive and results oriented
• Minimum- undergraduate degree from an accredited College or University
• An advanced degree or other professional certification, a plus
• Continuing education in related field, a plus
• Minimum- five years in an executive leadership position for a business, non-profit, chamber or other membership organization.
• Relevant experience should have provided the candidate with:
o Demonstrated ability to lead others to desired outcomes
o Demonstrated management of critical relationships
o Leadership or management of critical processes
o Effective customer relations
o Experience in managing changing priorities
o Experience in setting and managing budgets
o Proven personnel management experience
o The ability to understand and evaluate an organization’s financial reports
• Knowledge of accounting is required
• Knowledge of local government is desirable
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook are required for this position
• Up to date knowledge and experience with management of technology in general, a plus
• QuickBooks and Chamber of Commerce-specific software ~ Weblink ~ is desirable
Interested in parties should submit their resume, including relevant experience and accomplishments demonstrating the skills and attributes listed above, by August 1, 2012 to:
References to be supplied upon request.